Hello there, and sorry about the delay but we were a bit distracted.
I was looking forward to posting on Monday because when Andrew and I went out for lunch, he decided to inspire my body to go into labor by backing up and going over the speed bump in our parking a second time on the way in and out. Apparently this is a legitimate way to break your water at the very least. Around four I had a glass of milk and cookie to inspire productivity, and decided to go around and tidy some things. I must have leaned over too far to pick up some board games at 5:45... I know now that this is not a subtle hint- was worried before I "wouldn't notice" such a symptom.
Called the hospital to confirm, and they wanted us in there immediately. We followed our little list of self written instructions and drove there... didn't even get lost on the way. Checked in and water breakage confirmed by around 6:30. Sonogram to check on the babies' positions by Dr. Seidel soon after determined that they would do a C-section; despite my water breaking I was having no contractions which meant waiting for them would add unnecessary stress to the fetuses, as well as a chance for contamination. Baby B was also in transverse (sideways) which was the last straw. We really weren't offered regular delivery as an option at all... oh well.
Prep-work and waiting took a few hours, but I was wheeled into the operating room at 9pm sharp. Andrew looks pretty nice in scrubs- a potential second career? but was left outside the door until I was set up. I had a spinal rather than epidural, which really pinched but wasn't nearly as terrible as I imagined. A nurse with a thick accent was describing rapidly to me everything that was and would be happening, and Lourde was playing in the background. Everybody in the room (maybe 10 staff?) introduced themselves and I immediately forgot all of their names. They laid me out on a table like a horizontal cross, set up the tent around my body and sent Andrew in who sat in a stool by my head.
All I can say about the rest is the little I experienced- very surreal. My body was warm and fuzzy; I could feel my torso being moved around and pressure being exerted but that was it. Mostly I held Andrew's hand and listened to the two doctors talking about sports while guessing what was happening and not really wanting to know. By 9:49 both babies were delivered and I was being put back together. They gave both babies to Andrew once they were out and cleaned up... actually they also let him take pictures when each were delivered and walk around to see them being cleaned up- not sure I'd want to switch places on the first part.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment