I knew this was coming. We all knew this was coming. But thinking about caring for infants that primarily need sleep, food, and clean diapers is much different from actually providing said services. In our first few nights, Andrew and I got five hours of sleep total I think... mostly from in-between-feeding stays in the hospital nursery. Since we've been home we established a shift schedule with my parents that's worked relatively well- they each took a three hour night shift as my "pacer" as the dairy cow in the scenario, changing diapers, soothing, and waking me up for mealtimes. With that I think we all were at around five hours a night not that I'm doing math at this point. But obviously this can't last; how the heck does anyone do this solo? How are any parents of multiples still ALIVE after this nonsense? It doesn't make evolutionary sense for offspring to kill off the parents before they're in a good place to survive on their own, right?
And so, parents out there- hats off to you. I must assume that we also will survive, but thanks for being the light at the end of this tunnel... and all the other tunnels that are sure to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment