Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tour de hospital

Might as well have been tour de france, I think I'm finally recuperated after a day and a half. Should have taken the offered wheelchair at the beginning... walking and standing around for an hour is not my forte these days.

We went on our official hospital tour Thursday evening which was really nice! It seems they know what they're doing with babies. The nurses said they deliver ~2 sets of multiples a week which is more than I've done. They allow flexibility for all the areas that lamaze folks get their panties in a bunch with these days: using a variety of labor positions, birthing balls and bars on hand, "natural birth" options (although their rate of epidurals is like most places... 90+%), holding the baby right afterward, etc. There was one lady on the tour who was super disappointed that they had no tubs nor could you rent one and bring it with you... how do you get a tub into a hospital room? How would you fill it? Strange.

Other fun hospital things: I get to bring popsicles with me to supplement ice chips during labor OH BOY. As a multiples pregnancy we get dibs on one of the big rooms. Once the babies have made their grand entrance, you get moved to the maternity ward where a typical stay is 2 days... if there are any complications however it can be up to 5 days. I also asked about the support person's accommodations; Andrew's face just fell when he heard he might be spending most of his free "vacation week" sleeping on a sofa eating trail mix.

Last night we watched through a number of lamaze videos and I think absorbed some good information between laughing hysterically. I'm sure labor positions are super helpful but you can't tell me they don't look terribly awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment